Until your 18th birthday you will have annual health assessments. Your health and wellbeing is very important and as a council we want to ensure services are in place to support you.

If you have specific health needs, the Named Nurse and your PA will discuss with you how these can be met as part of your Pathway Plan and offer you advice and support on how to access health services as you prepare to turn 18.

From the age of 14 you can ask for a copy of your health assessment from the LAC Health Team. You can either request this form from your Named Nurse at the time of your health assessment or contact the team at CLCHT.LACHealthTeamBarnet@nhs.net

After your final health assessment, before you turn 18, you will be sent a health summary which will include your immunisation record, a copy of your last health assessment, how to access a GP, dentist or optician and where to go for health advice and information. This summary is an important document that your GP or any health practitioner will want to see and needs to be kept safe.

Mental Health Support

There is a range of support available if you need support with your emotional or mental health. These are some of the options available:

  • KOOTH – Online counselling support service available during evenings and weekends

  • Woodhouse Road service – 1:1 appointments with trainee psychotherapists from Terapia are available for young people in need of emotional support. They are based at the Onwards and Upwards centre. To access this support or to find out more about it, please ask your social worker or PA; and

  • Voluntary Community Sector – Range of support lines available such as Childline (0800 1111) and the Samaritans (116 123).

Please speak to your PA for more information about options available to you as support services can change over time.

Dental Care

You may be eligible for some financial support towards dental checks/treatment if you are:

  • aged 16 to 18 years in full timeeducation

  • pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12months

  • having treatment as an in-patient or out-patient at an NHShospital

  • receiving Income Support, Income Based Employment and Support, or Job Seekers Allowance; and

  • on a low income and have a Health Credit Certificate (known as HC2 or certificate).

General practitioner (GP)

We will support you to make sure you are registered with a doctor (GP) local to where you live.

Eye care

You may be eligible for free eye tests and vouchers towards glasses/contact lenses if you are:

  • aged 16 to 18 and in full timeeducation

  • receiving Income Support, Income Based Employment and Support, or Job Seekers Allowance; and

  • on a low income and have a Health Credit Certificate (known as HC2 or certificate).

Prescriptions for medication

We can give you advice and support about paying for prescriptions but we are not able to pay for the costs of prescriptions for medication.

You are eligible for free prescriptions if you are:

  • aged 16 to 18 and in full timeeducation

  • receiving Income Support, Income Based Employment and Support, or Job Seekers Allowance

  • pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months (you will need an exemption certificate from your GP);and

  • receiving treatment in hospital.

Some people with specific health conditions will also be eligible for free prescriptions, such as epilepsy. You will need to ask for an exemption certificate from your GP. If you need regular prescriptions, it may work out cheaper to buy a yearly certificate. Talk to your doctor about what will work best for you.

Support for people on a low income

If you are on a low income you can apply for a Health Credit Certificate known as HC2 or HC3. This will give you reduced cost, or free dental and eye checks/treatment as well as prescription charges. This is dependent on your income and needs at the time you apply for support. A certificate can last from 6 months to 5 years depending on your circumstances.

To find out more, ask your GP, dentist or optician, or ask your PA to help you apply.

Health, Leisure and Fitness

Building activity into your day keeps your heart healthy, reduces your risk of serious illness and strengthens muscles and bones! We sometimes hear from young people that they feel down and lonely, being active can also be a great way of reducing your stress levels and lifting your mood if you’re feeling down.

Fit & Active Barnet

We encourage all young people to take part in health, leisure and fitness activities. If you are 16 or 17 years old or a care leaver you are eligible to apply for a local leisure card called a ‘Fit & Active Barnet (FAB) Carers Pass’ as a concession.  The pass is a FREE annual membership available to Barnet residents, giving access to a range of benefits across all five of the Barnet Leisure Centres and beyond, like:

  • Up to 50% discounts off activity prices

  • Care leavers swim for ONLY £1

  • Access to a wide range of activities like badminton, street dance, football, gymnastics, tennis and more!

  • Access to courses and other member only activities and facilities

    You can apply for your FAB pass here.

    If you live outside Barnet, your PA will assist in obtaining an equivalent card from the authority where you live. Depending on an assessment of need, we may pay for a hobby or fee for a club, if a leisure card is not available, provided you can demonstrate commitment to the activity. 

Barnet youth service and activities

There are a variety of things for young people to do in Barnet including sports, music, art, after school clubs, holiday schemes and the Duke of Edinburgh Award programme. Throughout the year, a range of exciting and challenging activities are offered for young people in Barnet. More information can be found here.

Support with Drugs and Alcohol

Sometimes young people need support to help reduce or stop their use of drugs and alcohol. There are a range of local and national services that can help with this, which is different in each local area. If you need support, you can talk to your PA or doctor, who will help you to access the right service to meet your needs. Some services are listed below.

Westminster Drugs Project

This is a charity that provides drug and alcohol treatment and recovery. WDP Barnet Young People’s drug and alcohol service (YPDAS) offers support for young people who may be affected by drug or alcohol problems. They offer personalised services to meet your individual needs, and work across Barnet so that they can come and meet you at a venue which suits you. If you need support, you can request it on their website here.

Talk to Frank

Frank is free drug and alcohol service that provides local and telephone support. To find out about their counselling and treatment services in your area, you can use the search tool on the Talk to Frank website. You can also call their helpline for friendly, confidential advice on 0300 1236600.

Sexual health

The following sexual health services are available to young people living in Barnet:

  •  testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections

  • HIV testing and diagnosis

  • contraception

  • health promotion

  • sexual health outreach for young people

To find out details of the Barnet service locations, visit this website. If you don’t live in Barnet, you can find out details of your local services from your GP. Your PA can also help you look up your local services.